One of the most distinguishing characteristics of a kitchen is the cabinets. They not only set the tone for the rest of your kitchen, but they are responsible for the overall look of the room as well. Changing this one element of your kitchen will completely change the room for better or worse. If you are doing a kitchen remodel and are wondering what to do with your cabinets, you have two options; reface or replace them.
Reface the Cabinets
One significant way to save money on your kitchen renovation is to reface your cabinets instead of replacing them. This basic process is done by placing a thin veneer of wood or plastic laminate on the exposed frame to make the entire cabinet face look different. Here are some of the pros and cons of this option:
- It is about half the cost of completely replacing the cabinets
- The job is done faster, especially if the contractor has all the materials on hand
- It is better for the environment
- Your kitchen can still be used through the process
- Cosmetic flaws in the surface are usually corrected quickly and easily
- Bad kitchen design isn't corrected
- This is only an option with cabinets that are in good condition
Replace the Cabinets
There are many people who choose to completely replace their cabinets because it can be much easier than fixing the old ones. Sometimes old cabinets are just too broken or worn to reface, requiring that you completely replace them. There are still many options inside of this category, such as using stock cabinets from a home improvement store or getting some installed that are semi-customized to your home. You can also get some that are completely customized to your liking. There are still pros and cons to this option as well.
- You can fix any bad kitchen designs
- Everything is new, hopefully lasting longer
- Depending on your level of customization, it can be a lot less work
- You can get everything exactly how you want it
- New cabinets are usually more expensive, taking up to 50% of your kitchen renovation budget
- Throwing away old cabinets adds to the landfill
- If you get customized cabinets, they will take a lot longer than refacing
There are plenty of options available to you when it comes to renovating your kitchen. Whether you choose to reface or replace your cabinets, it is nice to have a new look to your space.
For more information, contact Canlik Kitchens Inc. or a similar company.Share