When you go to buy an old home, you may think that all it has is a bunch of character for you to unfold, but something you may not realize is that it might have some other issues that are fairly significant and need to be repaired as soon as possible. To ensure that you know exactly what you're getting yourself into, you should consider having your house professionally inspected. A home inspector will look at all parts of your house to look for things like asbestos, mold, and even methamphetamine. So, how can they detect these problems and what can you do if they find them? 

1. Asbestos

Asbestos is a toxic chemical that is found in old homes that were built before the 1980s, and it can be found in things including insulation, floor tiles, and ceiling tiles. If inhaled, asbestos can cause ongoing problems, including cancer in some cases.

When people try to remodel a home on their own and remove features that contain asbestos, fibers are more likely to get into the air where they can be more easily inhaled, which is why it's important to have asbestos professionally removed. During the asbestos removal process, a company will come out to your house and remove the hazardous material and clean everything up so that there aren't any remnants; that way you can move into the house without any worries.

2. Mold

Mold is another thing that a lot of older home owners find in their homes. Mold is found in areas where there is a lot of excess moisture like a basement, bathrooms, underneath kitchen sinks, in crawlspaces, or even in the attic. While not all mold is harmful, much of it can be toxic, and it can spread really easily. Once it's detected, a mold removal professional can come scrape it off and clean around it to ensure that all mold spores are gone. 

3. Methamphetamine

If a previous homeowner cooked or smoked methamphetamine in the house you are going to buy, there may be remnants of it on the walls, the ceilings, the floors, and even in the air ducts, which can be hazardous to your health. A simple test can confirm whether or not your home has been exposed to this substance. If the test is positive, a trained cleaning crew can remove all remnants and make your home clean and safe.

To learn more asbestos abatement or home testing, reach out to some professionals near you today.